Monday 15 October 2012

Apples Galore




After our visit to Apple Holler last weekend, we did come home with just a few apples, a fair few apples, and I wondered what I could do with these, as it is the weekend which means baking a homemade treat for Ruby's packed lunch, I decided Apple & Cinnamon muffins were in order.

So at 8am on Sunday morning,  and still in our pyjamas  I made the muffins, of course I had my little baking helpers with me.

A quick scour of the internet and I found this recipe which I thought sounded delicious - the recipe is from a blog called The Comfort Of Cooking

Apple & Cinnamon Muffins

Ingredients
2 cups of all-purpose(plain) flour
1 cup of sugar
3 teaspoons of baking powder
11/4 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda(bi-carb)
1/2 teaspoon of salt
2 eggs
1/4 cup of butter melted
11/2 cups of peeled, cored and chopped apples

Topping
1/4 cup of sugar
3 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
2 tablespoons of chilled butter

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 400c
2. In a large bowl combine all the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs, sour cream and melted butter. Stir into dry ingredients and combine until just moistened, but don't overmix. Fold in apples.
3. Line your muffin tin with paper muffin/cake cases and fill cups to the top.
4. For the topping combine the sugar, flour and cinnamon together and rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
5. Sprinkle this topping over each muffin and bake in the oven for 20-23 mins, or until a cake terster comes out clean.
6. Cool for 5 mins, if you can wait that long, before transferring to a wire rack.
7. Make a cup of tea and enjoy your muffin.


Ingredients ready to go
Dry ingredients

Ruby had the job of mixing all the dry ingredients together and Tilly's job was to beat together the eggs, sour cream and butter.

Ruby mixing the dry ingredients together
Tilly beating together the eggs, sour cream and butter

I added the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and folded them gently, then added the apples and gently folded them in too.

Mixture ready to spoon into the cases

Next came the job of putting the mixture into the cases, and both girls did this job for me, after all it meant at the end they would get to lick the spoons


Ruby carefully sprinkled the top of the muffins with the topping and into the oven they went to bake.

and 23 mins later........


......lovely delicious apple & cinnamon muffins and they were so lovely we decided to have a few of them for breakfast, well we were still in our pyjamas.


These are not going to last long on our house, not doubt I will be baking again and I have just the recipe in mind.

I still have a fair few apples left over and just this week my lovely Mother in Law sent me some lovely apple recipes, I already have her apple chutney on the simmer and today I'm going to tackle
the German Apple Cake recipe which sounds delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your comments