Monday 10 December 2012

Getting My Christmas Craft On

Phew.... I have been busy this last week and month even, busy sewing and knitting some Christmas gifts. As I really enjoy knitting and sewing I thought I'd make a few homemade gifts this year as well as making decorations for our home.

Here's what I have made so far and I am rather pleased with myself.

I started off thinking I would like to knit my Nephew something and I found this great vest on Ravelry and bought it straightaway, I knew he'd look great in this, it only took me about 5 days to knit and I used just over a skein of wool, so I started another one with the reminder in a smaller size for another little boy dear to my heart, however, what I had left, wasn't quite enough to finish the smaller vest, so I purchased another skein, finished off the vest and made two matching hats to go with the vests - perfect.

Vests just need blocking and they are done
Matching Hats

Then last weekend as we had bought our tree, I thought it would be a good idea to make a tree skirt for it, and I'd make some bunting too, all the lovely Michael Miller Christmas Fabric was sold out from my favourite online fabric shop fabric.com so I made a trip out to Jo-Ann's and picked up some Christmas fabric from there and at a bargain price too 50% off, the fabric wasn't quite what I was after but hey it is Christmas.

The tree skirt panels are all cut out and ready to sew, and one lot of bunting is made - we're getting there.

Tree Skirt Panels ready to sew
Bunting made for Mr C

The first bunting I made was for Mr C to put up at his work, I still have to finish off ours, all the flags are made and sewn, I just need to attach them to the bias binding.

Then on talking to my lovely Mum who was in Lanzarote celebrating her 60th Birthday last week, Happy 60th Birthday Mum, and wondering what to get my Nanna for Christmas, she mentioned an apron and why don't I make her one, great idea I thought and I had the perfect fabric for it - some Cath Kidston fabric stashed away for just a project, lovely.

One Apron for Nanna


This was so easy to make,  my friend Briony had bought me a Union Jack apron one Christmas and it was the perfect size and length for me being a shorty, so I traced around it and added the seam allowance and used twill tape for the tie backs and neck. It was a quick easy project and the perfect present for my Nanna, she is 92 after all.

Little Pink Elephant Crayon Roll


I've also made this little crayon roll too, and I have nearly finished another one for markers or pencils, these I will keep stashed for those just in case presents.

And it isn't just me getting into the Christmas craft - Ruby & Tilly have been busy making Perler/Hama Christmas Decorations for the Christmas Tree. These were a great find $1.99 per kit, includes all the beads and the template - bargain. I put these in their Advent calenders for their weekend activity.

Perler/Hama Bead Tree decorations

Christmas Tree Hama Beads

Aren't they great little kits to do? they have a Reindeer one coming up this weekend to do.

And it doesn't end there, I still want to make some pyjama bottons for the girls and maybe an apron each too as they are so easy. And I'm just in the process of embroidering some Christmas decorations to hang on the tree. I hope I manage to get it all done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your comments