Monday 24 March 2014

Pinterest Challenge - Fabric Baskets

Continuing on with the sewing theme for my Pinterest challenge I choose this Fabric Basket tutorial for my challenge.

I already had the perfect fabrics in my stash - they are a heavier weight than a regular fabric, which I thought would be great for this project.

And here are the results


This size is the small one from the tutorial finished dimensions 5x6 inches base, 8" high - I used the Ikea Fredricka fabric and interfacing too. Lined in a red cotton from my stash.


The second basket I made in the large size - finished dimensions 6x7 inches base and 8" tall. This fabric is also from Ikea and I used Pellon 809 interfacing in this one and it stands up so much better. Pink cotton lining from my stash.


And just to try a different method I followed this tutorial to make this fabric basket, but I made my own size up. Finished dimensions are 10x5.5 inches, 8 inches tall. Fabric used I bought in Australia, it is a heavier weight cotton and perfect for this project, I decided to line the inside with felt and I really loved the results.


I added a quick oilcloth bag to the mix, lined with hessian/burlap and I added a sturdy woven strap as a handle.

and lastly, see the little rainbow basket (front left in photo) this was made following this tutorial and is probably the most sturdiest fabric basket as it is stitched on all four sides - but I would say the only downside to this is it uses a lot of fabric (15x15") to create such a little basket (5x5")


All in all each basket did not take long to make - I already have one in use collecting fabric scraps, Ruby has her eye on the Ikea Fredick fabric one (front right), the blue giraffe one will be going to a friend as part of her baby gift and the oilcloth one will get used for our garden.

This was a quick and easy project perfect for organizing.

You can find me here on Made By You Monday - Skip To My Lou
And check out some other great projects

I've already picked out this weeks challenge I'll be knitting some washcloths



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your comments